Sunday, December 5, 2010

Quick Apple Glazed Asparagus

I whipped this dish up last minute to balance out Thanksgiving dinner.  I remembered seeing a recipe somewhere once for apricot glazed asparagus. I couldn't remember where I saw it so this is what I did based on what I had in my fridge:
-Rinse/wash asparagus well.  Snap the ends of the asparagus off about 1 inch up from the bottom.  When you start to bend them down there they will break where they should.
-Use a vegetable peeler to remove the outer, tough layer off.
-Toss in a hot pan with a little extra-virgin olive oil in it
-Saute for a few minutes till the outsides get a little color
-Remove from heat
-While pan is still hot pour on some soy sauce (about 3 Tbl for one bunch of asparagus-the size they sell in the store, about a handful around)  And stir in a few tablespoons of apple jelly.
-Remove and place on a baking sheet lined with foil (spoon any glaze that dripped in the pan on top of the asparagus.)
-Bake in a 400 degree oven for 10 minutes, more or less depending on your preference and depending on your asparagus (thickness, age, etc) -taste as you go
*Some grated orange or lemon zest would have been great on top.  Or some candied ginger?  Next time.




No comments: