Saturday, April 9, 2011

Orzo Salad

I got this idea from a recipe card at SunFlower Market near the bulk bins.  It's a simple cold salad that we loved.  It's a nice dish to be able to make ahead and put in the fridge till you're ready to eat it or take to whatever dinner party or pot-luck you're going to.  (We had it this week alongside a simple veggie stir-fry with this quick recipe for ginger citrus sauce.)

Direction for Orzo Salad:
1 1/2 cups uncooked orzo pasta
2 (6 oz) can marinated artichoke hearts, drained, chopped
1 tomatoes, chopped
1 cucumber, chopped
1 (2 oz) black olives, drained
1/4 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
1 Tbl lemon juice
2 Tbl olive oil
salt, pepper, opt.

Boil pasta for 8 to 10 minutes. Chop and dice other ingredients.  Stir all together and put in fridge.  Let chill for at least 1 hour.  (I didn't have the black olives, as called for, when I made it.  But I'm sure it would be great with them, or even kalmata olives.)


Also, can I tell you what my current food obsession is?  It's pita bread stuffed with veggies and a little vegan mayo or salad dressing.  I actually had a little pita sandwich for breakfast twice this week.  Weird, I know, but it's what I wanted!




8 comments:

Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty said...

YUM!! I've never tried orzo but it looks good and it's full of my favorite ingredients!!

I have pitas for breakfast sometimes too, I always figure, whatever works!

Have a great day!

Lauren said...

I love how simple yet delicious this salad looks! I think this would be perfect to make and bring to a summer BBQ/potluck. Very light yet sustaining! Yum!

Michele said...

My mom makes orzo salad with edamame and serves it cold... soo delicious! this reminded me i should make some too! It would be good for a gathering or potluck!

Michele said...

Jess,
you are so welcome for being a nurse! There is nothing else I can imagine doing! :)
night shift is difficult, we are lucky enough to be doing it "together", my bf has been unemployed for almost a year now. however, he has a job interview tomorrow and if he gets it he will be mon-fri from 9-5, yikes! i'll be doing the night shift/insomnia alone! :( That is soo cute and wonderful that he wants to make green smoothies away from home! my bf feels 100% better being vegan and always sticks up for it and me when we come under attack! it is so cute! :) You ARE perfect, at being you! Dont ever think otherwise :)

Michele said...

Check out my last blog entry - I nominated you for a blogger award :)

HA said...

I don't think your breakfast is weird! For the past year, I've been eating half an avocado mashed up with salt and pepper on toast. Lol.

Michele said...

Hey lady where you been? its been awhile ;)

Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty said...

I miss your lovely posts!!

Hope you are doing great!