Thursday, January 13, 2011

Avocado Spring Rolls (Inspired by Cheesecake Factory)

After two bites of this delicious dish at the Cheescake Factory the other night with my girl friends, I said "I'm going to re-create this!"  And they believed me.  So here it is.  Whole grain.  Baked, not fried.  And delicious.


The dipping sauce is where it's at, really:  
(Approximate quantities since I hardly ever measure anything.)
Fresh cilantro (1 cup?)
Cashews (1/2 cup)
Olive Oil (1/4 cup)
Honey (1/4 cup)
White vinegar (3 tsp)
Lime juice (3 tsp)
1 clove Garlic
1 Green Onion
Balsamic vinegar (1 tsp)
dash of Salt
-Blend well in a blender or food processor.

-Filling:
Avocado (I used 3 avocados which made 4 tortilla's full.  I cut each tortilla in half when serving)
1/2 to 1 Red Onion
some diced Tomatoes
dash of Salt

Whole Wheat Tortillas

-Cut avocados into big chunks.  Stir, gently, with onion, tomatoes and salt.  Fill whole wheat tortillas with 1/4 cup of mixture and roll, cigar-style.

-Cook at 375 degrees F for 6 minutes, flip, and cook for 4 minutes more until crisp on the outside.  Enjoy with your cilantro dipping sauce.

You could go authentic with real spring rolls/egg rolls and frying.  But this way you are saving tons of calories, avoiding bad fats, and maintaining your whole foods lifestyle- all without sacrificing ANY taste (I promise!)

1 comment:

Chris and Dani said...

I've had these at the Cheesecake Factory...so yummy! I'll have to try yours! Awesome blog by the way!