Thursday, November 11, 2010

Bok Choy and Baked Tofu Stir Fry with Ginger Citrus Sauce



This recipe is from Susan of fatfreevegan.com found here.  I think it is my new favorite!  Somehow I already had everything in my fridge to make it (besides FRESH waterchestnuts.  Does anyone have those in their fridge?  I will have to look for them...)

(opt) 1 14-ounce package extra-firm tofu, pressed, marinated and baked (or 8 ounces packaged baked tofu)

Veggies:
1 1/2 pounds baby bok choy

1 large carrot, cut into matchsticks

1 tablespoon minced ginger root

1 cup slivered water chestnuts (or 1/2 canned, drained waterchestnuts plus 1/2 of an apple diced small)

6 ounces mushrooms, sliced (she called for shitake but I made mine with baby bellas)

3 cloves garlic, minced

opt: green onions, diced

Sauce:
1/2 cup orange juice

2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce or gluten-free tamari

2 teaspoons agave nectar

1 tablespoon rice vinegar

1/4 teaspoon sesame oil

2 teaspoons cornstarch

If using tofu, bake.  (Picture above.)  Susan has a great recipe here but I decided to make this last minute and didn't marinate the tofu.  I just sliced 1/2 container up, put it in a hot oiled skillet on each side till browned, then put it in a 350 degree oven for 10 mins while I diced up my veggies.  Dice up bok choy, carrots, and ginger (I just sliced up my ginger.)  Put those in a hot skillet with a little oil or spray (except leave the green part of the bok choy out.)  Let those get a little soft, (I put the lid on for a while to help it cook faster) then add the sliced up green parts of the bok choy, the diced mushrooms and the diced water chestnuts and apple (if using...recommended!)  Stir together sauce ingredients.  In a couple minutes add your garlic, baked tofu, and green onions, if using, and the sauce.  Let the sauce thicken and reduce for a minute and then serve.  I ate it as is, but it would be great on brown rice too.

No comments: