Friday, September 11, 2009

Lentil Chili from allrecipes.com


When I tried this recipe the other night I was almost bracing myself for a strong, heavy "chili" taste. Instead it was surprisingly light and refreshing. I loved that I put big chunks of carrots and celery in.
1 T olive oil
1 med onion, chopped
1 bulb garlic cloves, chopped
1 (16 oz) pkg dry lentils
1 (6 oz) can tomato paste
1 (14.5 oz) can crushed tomatoes (I used diced because that's what I had)
2 qts water
2 T chili powder
1 T cumin
1 dash paprika
salt and pepper to taste
2 c sliced carrots
2 c sliced celery

In large pot heat oil, stir in garlic and onions; cook till tender. Add lentils, tomatoes, paste, water, and seasonings. Bring to boil then reduce to low and simmer for 30 minutes. Add carrots and celery and cook for 20 more minutes. I served it with toasted grain bread.

No comments: