Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Cocoa -Babies (Peanut Butter Chocolate Laura Bars)

Want to be sugar-free with  me this year?  I think we should try!  Thanks to Green Smoothie Girl's reminder, I've been saying(...to myself...not out loud,)  "I love my body, it serves me well."  When we love our body we will treat it with respect.  Which means not abusing it by eating junk and then feeling horrible, physically and emotionally about it, and then repeating the abusive cycle.  I'm not talking about being crazy and extreme (your not going to offend your Grandma by not eating a piece of her homemade apple pie she hands you, right?) But other than acting 'normal' in such instances, I don't think you can ever be too healthy.

In light of my sugar-free goal was looking up how to make your own lara bars (they are made of dates and cashews, with some variances on that basic formula) and found a ton of recipes.  A perfect sugar-free, sweet and delicious treat.  I based this recipe off this one here.  She has tons of variations, so get with it!
This tastes a bit like chocolate peanut butter cookie dough.

1 cup dates
1/4 cup peanut butter
1/2 cup cashews
2 Tbl cocoa
1 Tbl dried cranberries
dash of salt

Blend (in a food processor or blender) and adjust any ingredients to taste or consistency desire.  I made these ones pretty stiff so they'd pack easy to work, workouts, and school lunch.
I put my dough on some plastic wrap, smooshed it into a long roll, let it sit in the fridge for a few minutes until a little firm, then cut into 1 inch pieces.  *These don't need to be stored in the fridge.

Optional:  Add 1 Tbl of chia seeds to your 'dough' to get more electrolytes than Gatorade out of your snack.

No comments: