Thursday, June 24, 2010

Creamy Potato Soup


This recipe is also from the "Deceptively Delicious" cookbook. I've been making all my produce that is going bad into purees and putting them into the freezer or fridge for when I need to stick them into recipes like this soup one. I've also been dicing up veggies like tomatoes, peppers, zucchini, and yellow squash and freezing them. It's handy for those days when I'm short on prep time but I still want to make something like soup, veggie/bean enchiladas or anything else that I need diced veggies for . I'm happy when I don't waste any of my produce! And when I can get produce at low prices to use later. And I'm very happy that my grocery bill has decreased since I switched to a plant based diet!

A creamy soup is comfort food to me,and sometimes you just need comfort food. This version was so filling and good! Next time I think I'll try sweet potatoes rather than white potatoes.
2 tsp olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, cut in half
2 (14 oz) cans veggie broth
2 lbs potatoes, any kind, diced
1/2 c. cauliflower, pureed
1 1/2 c. butternut squash or carrot puree
1 c. non-dairy milk
dash of salt and pepper

In a large pot add oil and saute onions till tender. Add veggie broth, garlic, and potatoes. Boil until potatoes are tender. Mash potatoes then add cauliflower and squash purees. Heat till warm, adding salt and pepper if desired. (I didn't need to add milk to mine, but you can if you need to thin down the consistency)

No comments: