Monday, March 8, 2010

Tamale Bites from fatfreevegan.com


I made got this fun recipe from fatfreevegan.com. The original recipe is found here http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2006/03/tamale-bites.html I used what I had on hand and my recipe is as follows:

Filling:

1 small onion

1 red bell pepper, diced

1/2 can pinto beans

1/2 can black beans

1/2 can diced tomatoes

a few dashes of cumin

and chili powder

Cornbread batter:

Use cornbread mix or make from scratch (see original recipe above)


Saute onion till translucent, add other filling ingredients till flavors combine (a few minutes.) Mix up cornbread. Add a little batter to the bottom of muffin tin, add a couple spoonfuls of filling, then top with more cornbread batter. I also tried mixing it all together. Both ways worked. Cook 15-20 minutes at 400 degrees. (Or according to cornbread recipe.) Top with honey and enjoy! *The second time I made these I tried my best to do a lot more filling and less cornbread.

No comments: