Thursday, March 11, 2010

Granola Balls from the wholefoods website


Made in our house for the last few years instead of cookies, these are granola balls. They go just as fast as cookies but you can feel slightly better about giving your kids and yourself some healthy fat and some fiber to slow down the sugar.

2 cups rolled oats
1/2 c coconut
1/2 c creamy peanut butter
1/2 c honey
1/4 c brown sugar (can be reduced-it's just so the honey taste doesn't overpower)
1/2 c trail mix (I usually add more) (I love the kinds with lots of fruit in them)

I forgot that the original recipe calls for you to toast the oats and coconut on a baking sheet in the oven for 10 minutes at 350 degrees but I find it unnecessary and I skip that part.

Heat peanut butter, honey and brown sugar in a small saucepan until sugar has dissolved. Add the rest of the ingredients and form into 1 inch balls. Refrigerate an hour before serving (a step that doesn't often happen here.)

No comments: