Thursday, November 26, 2009

Sweet and Sour Cous Cous from greenereating.com

I loved this recipe from greenereating.com! It was fun to cook with a grain I don't usually use. And I LOVE this sauce. (They blend some of their ingredients as they go but I just cooked everything diced up and then blended the sauce till smooth for a few seconds at the very end.) I made extra and put it in the freezer for a quick meal later.




whole wheat couscous,

cookedpineapple


Saute for 30 minutes:

1 c. onion + 1 c. water, blended

1 c. celery, chopped


Add and simmer for 30 minutes:

2/3 c. ketchup

1/3 to 2/3 c. bbq sauce

2/3 c. tomato, blended

2 T. honey

1 c. pineapple juice, drained from pineapple (add water to equal 1 cup)

2 to 4 T. corn starch, whisked into pineapple juice/water (optional)

1/4 t. pepper• Serve over whole wheat couscous, topped with pineapple.


Note: This makes enough sauce for 1 1/2 to 2 cups uncooked couscous, depending on your couscous to sauce ratio.

No comments: