Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Southwest Stew by Me


I made up this delicious recipe yesterday. My friend was over and said "It really IS good- I'm having seconds!" It had the perfect amount of spice and flavor along with a creamy texture (minus the cream.) I think the key to the whole recipe is the butternut squash. And that feeling afterwards: being full. Full of real, nutrient dense food. It's a good life...

4/5 medium red potatoes
1 med/small butternut squash
a little olive oil
1 med onion, chopped
1 can corn
1 can diced tomatoes w/ green chilies
1 can vegetable broth
3 Tbl butter substitute (I use a smart balance organic blend of heart healthy oils)
dash of salt, pepper, and crushed red pepper

Boil potatoes and slightly mash (don't over mash! will get "gluey"). Cook butternut squash (I cut it lengthwise, put if face down in a pan with 1 inch water in it and microwave for 10-15 mins). Sautee onion in a little olive oil in a big saucepan. Add all ingredients (scoop squash right out of the skin into the soup) Add more or less crushed red pepper to taste. Enjoy!

No comments: